Academic Writing Workshop
Aug 26, 2014 09:00
A 5-day hands-on workshop aimed at improving participants' skills in research, writing and presenting with guidance on how to succeed within the academic world.
Dates and Venues:
26-28 August 2014 - Markfield Conference Centre Ratby Lane, Markfield, Leicestershire. LE67 9SY
29-30 August 2014 - London Centre for Social Studies 2nd Floor, 227-228 Strand, London, WC2R 1B
The first three days of the workshop will take place at Markfield Conference Centre in Markfield, Leicestershire with the remaining two days in London at LCSS, providing an opportunity to view some of the capital's iconic locations.
Objective of the Event:
- To detach participants from the usual daily routines and increased concentration on writing what they have in mind, (paper, thesis, etc).
- Academic mentors will be available for guidance, consultations, and mentoring for topics that relate to the academic life.
- To provide seminars on topics related to writing, research preparation and presentation that will increase the participants' productivity to complete their studies with significantly better results.
- Together with fellow participants from the same field/interest area, students will have daily peer to peer discussions and feedback sessions.
- To provide a platform for testing presentation skills in front of other participants.
Besides the academic content, there will be social and sports activity during the camp.
Target Audience: Primarily PhD students. Master's students are also invited if there is availability.
The Big Picture of the Doctoral Journey and Academic Careers, by Dr.Fahri Karakas
- A big picture vision of your doctoral journey and academic career
- Dreaming big dreams for your academic career and for your life
- Essential career advice for grad students and PhD candidates
- How can you survive Grad School? How can you thrive and excel at Grad School?
- A strategic perspective for your PhD: Making the most of your journey
- Graduate Pathways to Success: Essential Skills for Doctoral Students
Academic Writing Workshop by Dr.Fahri Karakas
- Improving academic writing skills
- Self Management: Self-Discipline and Time Management
- Dealing with challenges of writing; such as the writer's block
- The process of writing
- Organizing and editing your writing
- Practical tips for improving writing
- Self-management and time management
How to write a good abstract and introduction for your essay, by Dr. Selcuk Uygur
The purpose of this seminar is to identify the crucial aspects of abstract and introduction sections in a scholarly written paper. Please remember, the majority of the desk-rejected papers suffer from not having a robust abstract, intro and focus. At the end of this practice-based session you will be able to identify your “golden thread” sentence in your paper.
Research Design by Dr. Harun Akyol
-What is this thing called science and scientific inquiry?
-To understand the nature of research and the research process
-Confusing terms; Ontology and Epistemology
-Validity and Reliability: why is it so important to assess validity and reliability and how do we do it?
Research Methods by Dr. Harun Akyol
-Finding the best or the most practical methods?
-Understanding and appreciating qualitative research
-What is the particular value of each approach and what jobs can they do for us?
Research Data Analysis by Dr. Harun Akyol
-Interviewing as a key technique in qualitative research
-What kinds of interviews do social scientists conduct and how are they designed? What is it like to conduct a research interview and how can researchers manage their own role and responses?
-What does qualitative data look like and how do researchers begin to analyse it?
-How do researchers draw conclusions from and produce an account of their data?
The Ultimate Publishing Workshop by Dr.Fahri Karakas
- Selecting and targeting your journals
- Conferences, special issues and other opportunities
- Preparing your manuscript
- The publishing and editing cycle
- Finding collaborators and co-authors
- Dealing with rejections and tough reviews
- The art of reviewing
Academic Jobs and Career Management Workshop by Dr.Fahri Karakas
- Navigating the academic job market
- Applying to academic jobs
- Academic CVs and job application portfolio
- Conferences and networking
- Career building and presenting yourself
- Applying for funding and awards
How to Enrol
Please send the following information to the organizers to help finalise the preparations and group formations.
- Short Biography,
- Keywords (subject area based)
- A short abstract of the essay (This would mentally help the participants to get ready for the camp)
In order to register please provide the above details to: email@example.com
73 Watling Street London EC4M 9BJ
73 Watling Street London EC4M 9BJLondon Centre for Social Studies (LCSS)